About Cleveland Lodge No. 470

Old Cleveland Masonic TempleThe Lodge was founded on February 24, 1905, with Alex Faries serving as Worshipful Master, L. P. Sayre as Senior Warden, and J. M. Crawford as Junior Warden. It met on the second floor of a building (pictured right) near the Cleveland Court House, which served as the Temple of not only Cleveland Lodge No. 470, but also the Alex Faries Chapter of Royal Arch Masons, the Order of the Eastern Star, and, for a time beginning in 1950, the Cleveland Chapter of the Order of DeMolay. The membership in these bodies eventually dwindled and left Cleveland Lodge No. 470 as the only body meeting in the building.

The Lodge has been the Lodge of several important masons in the life of Cleveland, including many mayors, doctors, businessmen, and people after whom the streets of Cleveland are named. Former Delta State University President James Ewing, for instance, was a mason, and spoke to the lodge and neighboring lodges often. Past Grand Master Joe Edd Wiggs was made an honorary member of Cleveland Lodge in 1998.

Current Cleveland Masonic TempleOn October 22, 2008, the lodge dedicated its current temple (pictured left) on Highway 61, north of Cleveland. In its new location, it has seen steady growth and vitality, continuing to open its doors to men interested in improving themselves and society.